Located at 225 Hope Street, the Nelson Fitness Center opened in May 2012 and features a 10,000 square foot multi-purpose fitness loft with over 85 exercise machines for students, faculty, and staff. The facility also features a varsity strength and conditioning center, 3 exercise studios (including a dedicated spinning room), offices for coaches and administrative staff, varsity locker rooms for the Men's and Women's Swimming, Diving, and Water Polo teams, dedicated locker rooms for Male and Female faculty, general use locker rooms for Male and Female students and staff, a gender-inclusive, accessible locker room, and a social space in the lobby that includes a cafe.
Click here for some fun facts about the new facilities!
Have you seen our 360 degree Panoramas of the Nelson Fitness Center? Click to learn more!
Please check the Calendar below for the most recent schedule. Please note that hours are always subject to change.
|Fall and Spring||(Semester Hours)|
Monday - Thursday
5:30am - midnight
5:30am - 10:00pm
|Saturday & Sunday
||7:00am - 9:00pm|
|Summer Hours||May 31st - Labor Day|
|Monday - Friday||
5:30am - 9:00pm
| Saturday & Sunday
8:00am - 6:00pm
We remain closed for the following occassions:
|New Year's Day|
We are open with adjusted hours (8am-8pm) for the following occassions:
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day|
|Fall Weekend Day (October 12, 2015)|
|Day after Thanksgiving|
Fitness Center Information
Please visit our Policies page for General Policies
- Clean machines after use with the provided towelette wipe.
- Return weights to their proper location after use. Fitness Center Staff are available to help you.
- If you need assistance with machines, do not hesitate to ask Fitness Center Staff.
- Wear appropriate shoes, shirts and shorts.
Physical Education Classes
- To attend PE Classes, a membership to the facility is required, in addition to the PE Pass.
- All members attending PE Classes must show their current PE Pass to Welcome Center Staff.
- When attending PE Classes, we ask that members do not enter the Studio until the instructor arrives.
Fitness Loft Policies
- Closed-toe, non-marking athletic shoe must be worn at all times
- Appropriate athletic clothing - shirt, shorts, sweats (no jeans or pants with buttons/hardware permitted). Shirt must be worn at all times, covering full chest & back.
- All personal items should be kept in locker rooms on pool level. Staff is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items.
- No food or drink except water in closed container permitted in fitness areas
- Must be at least 17 years of age to be in free weight area
- Weight lifting chalk is not permitted
- Re-rack weights/plates and accessories to designated area
- Return dumbbells to designated storage rack
- Slamming or dropping of free weights is prohibited
- Do not remove any equipment from designated areas - all equipment must stay in fitness loft
- Clean equipment after use
- Weight collars, pins, & clips (provided) must be used with all bars in free weight area
- Only Brown Athletics & Physical Education employed Personal Trainers are permitted to train in athletic facilities
- Profanity, excessively loud or offensive language is not tolerated