Nelson Fitness Center
Located at 235 Hope Street, the Nelson Fitness Center opened in
May 2012 and features a 10,000 square foot multi-purpose fitness
loft with 85 exercise machines for students, faculty, and staff.
The facility also features a varsity strength and conditioning
center, 3 exercise studios (including a dedicated spinning room),
offices for coaches and administrative staff, varsity locker rooms
for the Men's and Women's Swimming, Diving, and Water Polo teams,
dedicated locker rooms for Male and Female faculty, general use
locker rooms for Male and Female students and staff, and a social
space in the lobby that includes a cafe.
Click here for some fun facts about the new
Have you seen our 360 degree Panoramas of
the Nelson Fitness Center? Click to learn more!
Please check the Calendar below for the most recent
schedule. Please note that hours are always subject to
Fall and Spring
|Monday - Friday
5:30am - midnight
(Memorial Day - Labor Day)
|Monday - Friday
| Saturday &
8:00am - 6:00pm
remain closed for the following
|New Year's Day
We are open with
adjusted hours (8am-8pm) for the following
|Martin Luther King
|Fall Weekend Day
(October 14, 2013)
Fitness Center Information
Please visit our Policies page for General Policies
- Clean machines after use with the provided towelette
- Return weights to their proper location after use. Fitness
Center Staff are available to help you.
- If you need assistance with machines, do not hesitate to ask
Fitness Center Staff.
- Wear appropriate shoes, shirts and shorts.
Physical Education Classes
- To attend PE Classes, a membership to the facility is required,
in addition to the PE Pass.
- All members attending PE Classes must show their current PE
Pass to Welcome Center Staff.
- When attending PE Classes, we ask that members do not enter the
Studio until the instructor arrives.
- To use the Squash/Tennis Courts, we ask that you reserve a
court online: here for
squash and here for
- The David J. Zucconi Varsity Strength & Conditionar Center
is available only to Brown University Varsity Athletes.
Fitness Loft Policies
- Closed-toe, non-marking athletic shoe must be worn at all
- Appropriate athletic clothing - shirt, shorts, sweats (no jeans
or pants with buttons/hardware permitted). Shirt must be worn at
all times, covering full chest & back.
- All personal items should be kept in locker rooms on pool
level. Staff is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged
- No food or drink except water in closed container permitted in
- Must be at least 17 years of age to be in free weight
- Weight lifting chalk is not permitted
- Re-rack weights/plates and accessories to designated
- Return dumbbells to designated storage rack
- Slamming or dropping of free weights is prohibited
- Do not remove any equipment from designated areas - all
equipment must stay in fitness loft
- Clean equipment after use
- Weight collars, pins, & clips (provided) must be used with
all bars in free weight area
- Only Brown Athletics & Physical Education employed Personal
Trainers are permitted to train in athletic facilities
- Profanity, excessively loud or offensive language is not