Brown Club Hockey Drops Controversial Game at Quinnipiac

Brown Club Hockey Drops Controversial Game at Quinnipiac

On Saturday, Brown Club Hockey made the trek to the Northford Ice Pavillion in Northford, CT to take on “The Brave Hockey Club” of Quinnipiac University, a team not actually formally recognized by Quinnipiac. The Bears were shorthanded for the trip but still had two full lines of forwards and defensemen with enough quality to be competitive. However, from the first drop of the puck, Brown knew they were in for a long night.

Three soft penalties were called in quick succession in the first several minutes of the game, and Quinnipiac stormed to a quick 3-0 lead in the first. The Bears were awarded a rare powerplay late in the first period. Determined to keep the Bears in the game, senior superstar Jay Xu ’15, who plays the left point on the first powerplay unit, received a pass from Adam Gottesman ’16 and unleashed a thunderbolt from the point that left the Quinnipiac goalie rooted to the spot in disbelief as he helplessly watched the puck go in inside his right post.   

“The game was very difficult because we were always in the box,” senior captain Jay Xu told reporters after the game. “It seemed like every time we touched them, it was a penalty. We did ourselves no favors with sloppy play, but the officiating was unacceptable.”

The second and third periods were even more frustrating, as the referees started to become more involved in the game, calling penalty after penalty on Brown and few on Quinnipiac, never really letting Brown get back into the flow of the game. Pat Holland Stergar ’15 also tallied for Brown on a powerplay, and Ryan Biery scored a late goal on Quinnipiac’s backup goalie when the game was already beyond doubt.

In the end, Brown lost but never gave up despite difficult circumstances. Freshman goalie and 2014 Massachusetts State High School champion Ian Lapham ’18 played very well in his collegiate debut.

Jay Xu heaped praise on Lapham’s performance. “He stuck in there for all three periods. We should’ve protected him better. He displayed his potential tonight, and he can be the future of this team if he keeps working hard. This game is not an accurate reflection of his potential.”

Brown’s Sunday home game vs. Clark was cancelled. The Bears’ next game is next Sunday at Connecticut College at 11:45am.