The Lifeguarding Instructor course is delivered in a blended format of online learning and in-person skills practice and testing.
To train instructor candidates to teach the following courses; Lifeguarding, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Lifeguarding Blended Learning, Waterfront Skills module, Waterpark Skills module, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, Bloodborne Pathogens Training, and Administering Emergency Oxygen.
1) Be 17 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course
2) Possess a current American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate or equivalent from another organization
3) Successfully complete the Online Session for the Lifeguarding Instructor course which includes:
- Orientation to the Lifeguarding Instructor course
- Orientation to the American Red Cross
- Pre-course Exam (Must score at least 80%)
Completion of the Online Session is required prior to attending the Pre-course Session and the rest of the Lifeguarding Instructor course sessions.
4) Successfully complete the Pre-course Session which includes demonstrating competency in a swimming skills evaluation and four rescue skill scenarios (requiring lifeguarding, first aid, CPR and AED skills) without coaching.
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
- Successfully complete class activities, including the required practice-teaching assignments.
- Demonstrate instructor-level skill proficiency.
- Score at least 80 percent on the Bloodborne Pathogens Training Instructor Self-Study Test.
- Score at least 80 percent on the basic-level Administering Emergency Oxygen final written exam.
- Score at least 80 percent on the Lifeguarding Instructor course final written exam.
Establishing Instructor Candidate Online Learning Account
Once an instructor candidate is registered for the course, s/he will receive an email with instructions on how to set up the online learning account. When the account is set up, instructor candidates will have access to start the online learning session. After the session is completed, instructor candidate will print a copy of the completion page to submit to the instructor trainer on the appropriate class date.
Refund Policy – 50% refund will be issued to any student who does not successfully pass the pre-course test on the first night of class. No other refunds will be processed unless the class is cancelled due to low enrollment.
Subject to cancellation - class could be cancelled if the minimum number of students do not register.
Fall 2014 dates coming soon!
Brown University Department of Athletics & Recreation
Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center
235 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02912
Click HERE to return to the 'Certification Courses' page