The new blended learning Water Safety Instructor class will offer more hands-on training while instructor candidates complete much of the content online before and throughout the course.
1) Be at least 16 years of age by the last scheduled session of the instructor course.
2) Successfully complete the pre-course skills test:
- Front Crawl 25 yards
- Back Crawl 25 yards
- Breast Stroke 25 Yards
- Elementary Backstroke 25 yards
- Sidestroke 25 yards
- Butterfly 15 yards
- Maintain position on back for one minute in deep water (float or scull)
- Tread water for one minute
- Attend and actively participate in all course sessions (no make-up sessions).
- Complete reading and written assignments for each class.
- Participate in all water activities
- Successfully complete four practice teaching assignments
- Score at least 80% on written exam.
Includes materials and Fundamentals of Instructor Training requirement
Refund Policy – A 50% refund will be issued to those instructor candidates who do not pass the Pre-Course test conducted on the first day of class. No other refunds will be issued once the class confirmation has been made.
Subject to cancellation - class could be cancelled if the minimum number of students do not register
Fall 2014 Dates coming soon
Brown University Department of Athletics & Recreation
Katherine Moran Coleman Aquatics Center
235 Hope Street, Providence, RI 02912
Click HERE to return to the 'Certification Courses' page